This sour cream coffee cake recipe has been in my husband’s family since he can remember. It was always a treat on Christmas morning.
It is interesting to note how some recipes are reserved for the holiday’s. This has been true for his side of the family since he can remember, and now for mine too.
Anyone that has had some often asks…. are you making that sour cream coffee cake again this year? Sort of a reminder of how much it is loved.
One year when my husband and I were hosting my side of the family for Christmas, I made a coffee cake and set it out on the counter. By the time we woke up in the morning, there was simply a little crumb in a corner with a note that said “left for Dan.” Ever since that occurred, I make my husband his own.
Now we give smaller individual coffee cakes as gifts. Yes, it has come to that! It simply says “home for the holidays!” Feel free to make this delicious coffee cake a new tradition in your family, trust me you will be a hero!
A couple of small notes, please use margarine as butter is simply too rich.
Also, when you half the batter just make a thin layer on the bottom as you want to make sure there is enough to cover the top.
I find using the back side of a spoon works best to spread the batter over the cinnamon and sugar layer.
Be sure not to overcook it, if anything under cook it slightly and then heat up a piece in the microwave for about 15 seconds and savor it with a cup of coffee or tea.
What is your favorite holiday recipe? I would love to hear about your family’s traditions.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1/2 lb margarine 2 cubes
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the filling and topping:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix well into the margarine and sugar mixture.
- Stir in the sour cream and add vanilla.
- Mix together the filling/topping ingredients in a separate bowl
- In a 13x9 greased pan turn 1/2 the batter in the pan, top with 1/2 the filling.
- Add the rest of the batter spreading evenly and sprinkle the rest of the topping .
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER COOK.
- Test with a tooth pick and Enjoy warm!