These baked apples are very easy to make and a real treat.
They would be wonderful with a scoop of ice cream on the side.
You can soak the raisins in brandy for additional flavor, how about Rakia, the national drink of Bulgaria.
Put a little note of good fortune tucked in tin foil in the core before baking for a fun surprise for your guests.
A fun tradition for cooks on special occasions in Bulgaria.
Pecheni yabalkis med I orehi (Bulgarian - Honey Walnut Baked Apples)
- 6 baking apples Granny Smith’s work well Any tart apple will do.
- 3 tablespoons raisins soaked in either brandy, orange juice, or water to soften.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, combine the soaked raisins, honey, cinnamon and walnuts, set aside
- Core the apples and score the skin.
- Fill each apple with a tablespoon of the filling mixture.
- Place the apples standing up in a baking dish or pie tin.
- Lower the heat to 300 degrees and bake for 60 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Serve warm