Botswana Dumplings called matlebekwane are a perfect complement to the oxtail stew called mogatla these dumplings are delicious and filling. Keeping in mind, this is many times the only meal of the day it makes sense that it would be nice and hearty. It really is simple to make and a lovely meal. Enjoy!
Botswana- Matlebekwane Dumplings
- 3 cups plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a fairly stiff dough.
- Knead for 3 to 5 minutes
- Cover the dough, and let stand in a warm place until it doubles in size, this takes around an hour.
- Knead again for a minute or two and then divide into 10-12 small balls
- Add into you boiling stew about 30 minutes before it is done cooking.
- Serve hot!