This Dutch Hussars salad called Hauzarensalade is sort of a potato salad but so much more.
The name stems from a Calvary called the Hussars who could not make a fire in fear of being detected. They would simply mix things together to make a cold salad.
I love these recipes where you can add just about any leftovers to it.
What I loved most about this salad were two things, the dressing was light more like a vinaigrette than an heavy mayonnaise and the bite of tart apple.
This is another recipe I will add to my daily repertoire. It is versatile to be a side dish or could easily make a wonderful main dish as a lunch or light summer dinner.
Dutch Hussars Salad (Huzarensalade)
- 1 kg potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 tart apples peeled and diced
- 3 large gherkins
- ½ cup carrot diced
- 2 large shallots
- 200 gram cooked beef or veal optional
- ½ cup peas frozen
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoons gherkin juice coming from the jar
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Garnishes of preference or what you have left over in the fridge. hard boiled egg cucumbers, tomatoes etc. all served on a bed of bibb lettuce.
- Place in a pan, cover with water, season with some salt.
- Bring to the boil and cook potatoes until tender.
- Leave to cool to a temperature you can handle them.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the gherkins, shallots, carrots and cooked meat if using.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the carrot cubes, cook for 30 seconds, then add the frozen peas and cook another 15 seconds. Drain immediately and place in a bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, gherkin juice.and the white wine vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them into bite size pieces
- Mix the potatoes, gherkins, carrots, shallots, peas, meat and sauce carefully. Because the potatoes are still a little warm, they will soak up some of the sauce and will give the salad a lukewarm serving temperature. It can also be served cold
- Present and garnish to your preference ( a great way to use leftovers)
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 95mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2830IU | Vitamin C: 8.2mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.4mg