Jordanian Fattoush also spelled fatoosh is a wonderful Arabic salad made with fresh ingredients. It is a common salad and what it most delicious is the toasted bread in the salad. I used toasted shrak (a Jordanian flat bread) because I made plenty for our Jordanian feast. You could also use toasted pita. It acts like a crouton and is lovely with the dressing. As with any salad, use the freshest possible ingredients. I also love the freshness of the dressing, simply lemon and oil with a little salt and pepper, I need remember how much I love that! Serve with a little sumac, for a healthful and delicious garnish. This is often served as part of a meze.
Jordanian Fattoush ( Salad with Toasted Bread)
- ½ cup shrak or pita bread cut into 1
- inch pieces
- 2 to matoes diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- ½ bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 2 green onions chopped
- 1 green yellow or red pepper, diced
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce torn into small pieces
- 2 small radish thinly sliced
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ bunch fresh mint leaves
- black pepper
- sumac to garnish
- Cut up pita bread into small 1 inch pieces and fry them in oil for 2 minutes until
- golden brown. Or for a lower calorie version, simply toast them in a toaster.
- Place them on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil and leave to cool.
- Put all the vegetables and herbs and toss them together into a bowl.
- Toss gently.
- Mix ¾ cup olive oil and juice of
- ½ lemon along with
- ¾ teaspoon of salt and
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper and mix well.
- Toss the fried or toasted bread pieces on top of the salad then follow with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with a teaspoon of sumac sprinkled on top
- Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your liking and especially what it fresh in season .