Malva Pudding is an easy to make recipe that is found in many of the safari camps in Botswana. It is sweet, delicious and a lovely dessert. It is called pudding, yet has a texture similar to cake when done. The cake like texture is surprising after adding all that sauce halfway through the cooking process, which makes it incredibly moist.
Botswana- Malva Pudding
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam or any flavor you like will work
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3.5 ounces butter
- 1 cup milk
- For the topping
- Heavy fresh cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar and the egg in a mixing bowl and beat this until smooth and fluffy, using a whisk or a mixer.
- Then add flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients -- milk, melted butter, apricot jam and the vinegar. Mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into an oven-proof dish (about an 8x8 ) and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- In a pot, melt together the ingredients for the sauce. When the cake is halfway baked, take it out of oven. Make holes in the cake and pour the sauce over the pudding. Return the pudding to the oven to finish cooking.
- Serve warm with whipping cream.