Nepali Dal Bhat or Dahl Bhat, is a dish made of lentils and rice. It is considered to be the national dish of Nepal. One can see how this comforting combination of flavors and heat, would be perfect on a cold day.
The rice or bhat is either boiled or steamed. It is often served in the middle of the dish and surrounded by the dal/lentils and perhaps some other curries, achar’s or chutney’s.
Nepalese eat this dish at least once a day. It is considered to be a well balanced meal. Lentils come in different colors and have good health benefits. This one was made with red lentils but you could use any color that you like or have on hand.
This is easy to make and the dal has all the flavors of Nepalese cuisine. Some of the flavors are garlic, onion, ginger, coriander, turmeric and some heat from red chili pepper. When you trek in the Himalayas you will eat this everyday. Depending on how tough the trek will be determines how many bhats you should eat. It is always vegetarian and contains plenty of carbs, protein, fluid, vitamins and minerals. Nepali Dal Bhat is exactly what the body needs for energy while trekking.
Did you know that Nepal is home to the highest mountain on earth? Mount Everest is a whopping 8,850 meters or 29,029 feet high. If you would like to learn more about this beautiful country be sure to check out “Our Journey to Nepal” plus get more authentic and delicious Nepalese recipes.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page may contain affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Nepali Dal Bhat (Lentils and Rice)
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 " piece of ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup red lentils washed
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cups cooked white rice to serve with dal.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions until translucent but not brown.
- Turn the heat to low and add in the garlic, ginger, crushed coriander seeds, red chili powder and turmeric. Stir to combine for about 3 minutes or so.
- Add in the red lentils and mix well with the onion mixture.
- Add in the water and bring it to a boil add in the salt and reduce heat to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the fresh cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve with white boiled or steamed rice