Norwegian worlds best cake verdens beste is also called Kavæfjodkake. It just may be! Honestly this is a really delicious cake.
It has a thin sponge cake layer that is cooked with meringue as well as almonds on top. The meringue is similar to pavlova which has to be one of my favorite all time desserts so adding this crunchy, chewy texture is exquisite. It is then put together with cream in the middle and often different types of fruit is added as well. I made this one with bananas and strawberries and it was a hit.
Norwegian Worlds Best Cake (Verdens Beste)
- For the sponge cake:
- 5 1/4 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- For the Meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds for the topping
- For the cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fruit for in between optional strawberries, bananas, raspberries, blueberries etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Begin to make the sponge cake
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy
- Add in egg yolks, one by one, fully incorporating between each yolk
- Add vanilla sugar
- Mix in the flour a little at a time and baking powder
- Add in the milk and continue beating until mixed well but take care to not over mix.
- On a baking tray with a parchment paper spread the sponge cake into a rectangle
- put aside in a cool place
- Next we make the meringue
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time until all is incorporated.
- Spread the egg whites on top of the sponge cake batter fully covering the surface.
- Sprinkle on the almonds slices to cover the meringue
- Put the cake in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes
- When done remove it and let it cool completely
- In the meantime, make the cream
- Beat the heavy cream with the vanilla extract until stiff
- Cut the cooled cake in half, spread cream on one layer add fruit on top if using and place the other half on top of the bottom half, with the almond side on top.
- Serve the worlds best cake and watch it disappear.