Pigeon peas and rice is very common in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. The pigeon peas are actually a bean. So basically you have rice and beans in one dish. Of course anything with bacon, well need I say more? The thyme adds a wonderful flavor to the dish as well.
Pigeon Peas n' Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion minced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup bacon diced
- 1-14.5 ounce can of pigeon peas
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- Salt black pepper, paprika and fresh thyme to taste
- Fry bacon until crisp. Add in the pepper and onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the water, un-drained can of peas, tomato paste, salt, black pepper, paprika, thyme and rice.
- Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer until all the water has been absorbed.
- Serve immediately with a sprig of fresh thyme.