This winter solstice Wassail is real easy to make and warms the soul. A tradition for the winter solstice. This recipe is a non-alcohol version but you can easily add some brandy if you would like to spike it. This recipe is made in a crock pot. Just throw everything in and enjoy the scents of the season as it simmers throughout the day. Enjoy it on the Winter Solstice and anytime during the cold winter months.
Although it may look like it has ice cubes, it is actually pieces of apple. I simply love this recipe I hope you will too. This year in 2018 the Winter Solstice takes place in the northern hemisphere on December 21, 2018 at 5:23 EST. I truly hope you take a moment to set your intentions and dreams. It is so important to take a moment to get away from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and sitting back with some candlelight, a fire to burn your pine cones and yule log, and sipping a little wassail, is the perfect remedy.
I would love to hear what your hopes and dreams are, be sure to share in the comments below.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
- 2 quarts apple cider or apple juice
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 15 all spice berries
- 24 cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange peel
- 4 medium baking apples
- 2 cups brandy (optional)
- Put the apple cider and cranberry juice into the crockpot
- In a spice bag place the all spice berries and 20 cloves and put in the pot.
- Simmer on low for 4-5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In the meantime place 4 apples with the remaining four cloves and ½ cup of water into a baking dish.
- Cook about 35-45 minutes or until the apples are tender, remove from oven and set aside.
- Once the apples are cool, dice them and put them in the wassail.
- Remove the peel from the orange taking care to not get the white pith.
- Put the peel in the wassail.
- Let simmer together for about 30 minutes and serve warm. You can add Brandy at this time if you want to spike it.
- Refrigerate any leftovers