Spanish tortilla is considered to be the national dish of Spain. Spanish tortilla is completely different from what you might think of as a tortilla. It is not a round disc made of either flour or corn, it is a delicious and savory potato and egg casserole.
This recipe is easy to whip up if you own a mandolin, which makes slicing up the potatoes a breeze. This is the one that I have and use often. If you don’t have one it is a nice addition to your kitchen arsenal.
Did you know that breaks, free time, and siestas are a huge part of Spanish culture, you will want one after you enjoy some tapas like this delicious Spanish tortilla. By the way they call the round corn or flour discs tortitas.
If you would like to learn more about the beautiful and fascinating country of Spain be sure to check out Our Journey to Spain. There you will also find more tapas recipes like Garlic Shrimp, Octopus with Potatoes, gazpacho and more.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Spanish Tortilla (Potato and Egg Casserole)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 large eggs
- Peel the potato and onion. Slice thinly. It works great if you use a mandolin.
- Heat the oil a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- When hot add in the potato slices and onion slices.
- Sprinkle with a good bit of salt and a pepper,
- Using a wooden spoon gently turn the mixture in oil and adjust the heat so the oil is just bubbly but not too hot.
- Keep turning the potatoes every few minutes until they are fork tender. You want them tender, but not brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking you can beat the eggs in a large bowl with some salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes into a metal colander and reserve the oil.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Add in two tablespoons of the reserved oil and heat to a medium flame.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the egg mixture and gently combine together.
- Add this to the heated oil.
- As soon as the edges start to firm, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula run it along the edges of the tortilla.
- You want to make sure it is completely loose and will slide easily from the pan.
- Carefully slide it onto a plate. Cover it with another plate and holding them tightly together, invert them.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and slide the tortilla back into the skillet.
- Cook another 5 minutes and then slide onto a clean plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.