Togo Djenkoume tomato cornmeal recipe is a staple dish in Togolese cuisine. It is thick and lightly flavored to be used as an accompaniment with other Togolese dishes. We loved it with the Togo Grilled Chicken recipe for an authentic and traditional Togolese meal.
Ingredients you will need:
You only need a few ingredients to make this staple Togolese dish. Cornmeal, ginger root, onion, garlic cloves, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and some chicken or vegetable broth.
The ingredient you may not have is important, and that is red palm oil. You only need a couple tablespoons but it is key. You can pick some up here if you can't find it in your local grocery store or African market. This is also used to make the marinade for the Togo grilled chicken so you will use more of it there.
What to serve with your Togo Djenkoume tomato cornmeal recipe?
Togo has some other great Togolese cuisine dishes you can serve for an authentic meal. Togolese Spaghetti Salad, Togo Grilled Chicken and for dessert why not serve Keke a wonderful Lime Cake recipe.
If you would like to learn more about the country of Togo, its traditions, food and culture be sure to check out "Our Journey to Togo" there you will also find more authentic and ancestral recipes like this popular Togolese Spaghetti Salad.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Togo Djenkoume Tomato Cornmeal Recipe
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger root grated
- 1 medium onion peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp red palm oil
- 15 oz chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and peper to taste
- In a large sauce pan saute' the garlic, ginger onions and palm oil over medium-high heat until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and paste and lower flame to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set it aside to serve as a dipping sauce.
- Add in the chicken stock into the remaining tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Gradually add in the cornmeal while whisking the entire mixture. Once the mixture is smooth, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- You can put it in a bowl and turn it upside down making a nice mound of Djenkoume or you can make balls.
- Serve hot with the dipping sauce and alongside the Togo Grilled Chicken for a wonderful Togolese meal.