Togo Grilled Chicken Recipe is a wonderful recipe that is super easy to make. It is very popular for good reason, who doesn’t love a delicious tender piece of grilled chicken. This recipe is all about the marinade that makes it truly Togolese.
Ingredients You Will Need
This is made with easy to find ingredients like chicken thighs and chicken legs, garlic cloves, ginger root , black pepper, salt, and cayenne.
The ingredient you may not have is important, and that is red palm oil. You only need a couple tablespoons but it is key. You can pick some up here if you can’t find it in your local grocery store or African market.
Ideally this should be made on a grill, that is the most authentic way to enjoy this Togo grilled chicken recipe and how you get these wonderful charred marks and flavor on the chicken.
If you don’t have a grill you could of course roast it in an oven at about 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to Serve with your Togo Grilled Chicken Recipe
You should serve your togo chicken with slices of medium onions cut into thick rings that are grilled. It can also be served with fresh tomato wedges this is how the Togolese people enjoy it.
Togo has some other great Togolese cuisine dishes you can serve for an authentic meal. Togolese Spaghetti Salad, Djenkoume which is a tomato cornmeal recipe and for dessert why not serve Keke a wonderful Lime Cake recipe.
If you would like to learn more about the country of Togo, its traditions, food and culture be sure to check out “Our Journey to Togo” there you will also find more authentic and ancestral recipes like this popular Togolese Spaghetti Salad.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Togo Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 8 pieces Chicken thighs and legs with skin and bone
- 2 Tbsp Ginger root grated
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Red Palm Oil
- salt & pepper to taste to taste
- Cayenne Pepper to taste
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 2 Tomatos cut into wedges
- In a mixing bowl, mix together garlic, ginger, red palm oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper. This is your marinade
- In a large bowl add the chicken pieces and pour over the marinade making certain they are all covered well.
- Cover the bowl and place in refrigerator for at least one hour and up to overnight. (the longer the better)
- Heat your grill to a medium high flame and cook until blackened in color and juices run clear or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toward the end of the chicken cooking add in the onion rings and grill until charred and soft.
- Serve warm with a couple of fresh tomato wedges.