Italian Egg Drop Soup (Stracciatella Alla Romana)
A perfect light and refreshing soup that is delicious anytime but loved when feeling a bit under the weather.
- 6 cups chicken stock Preferably homemade
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons freshly-shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 1 lemon zest of
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- red pepper flakes to sprinkle (optional)
In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, and add the Parmigiano, semolina, nutmeg and lemon zest.
Add the egg mixture, a little at a time, to the boiling stock, whisking constantly. After all the egg mixture is added, lower the heat and cook 1 minute.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and garnish each with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Add sprinkle of red pepper flakes if desired.
Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 429mg | Potassium: 327mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 12.7mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1.3mg