Zanzibar calamari curry is filled with the flavors of the spice Island. This curry could be made with any type of fish or octopus. Mr. Okala explained that once you know this recipe you can make any kind of curry you desire. Chili was not added when we made it however if you like your curry hot then feel free to add it. This was amazing and easy to make.
Fill your house with the flavors of Zanzibar. Mr. Okala also explained that to make calamari or octopus tender you simply need to cook the water out of it first and then add water back in. It was super fresh calamari caught that day and was indeed tender as could be. He also said if you refrigerate the calamari overnight it will be tender also.
Calamari in the pot first with no water, cook until just browned then add in a touch of water.
The Ingredients simmering together
The finished curry, a little bit of heaven! Enjoy!
Zanzibar Calamari Curry
- 1 calamari cleaned and cut into bit size pieces
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 small eggplant peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 green mango peeled and roughly chopped (alternatively the juice of 1 lime can be used)
- 1 small red onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into slices
- 1/2 green pepper seeded and de-veined and roughly chopped
- 3 okra cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Put the calamari slices in a pot on the stove over medium heat
- cook until the water is removed and the calamari starts to brown
- Add a touch of water and then add in all the vegetables and spices and coconut milk
- bring to high heat and then reduce to simmer.
- Add a chili if heat is desired.
- Stir well and cover with a lid until tender.
- Remove cinnamon stick
- Serve warm with some chapati for an excellent meal