Israeli Shawarma is a street food found not only in Israel but all over the Middle East. Vertical spits of meat are grilled and shaved off. Often enjoyed in a pita with condiments or just with a lovely salad. The meat on the spit could be chicken, lamb or beef. It is usually interspersed with fat for exceptional flavor. It is also spiced with flavors of the Middle East. This chicken recipe is about as close as you can get to the real thing without having a vertical spit at home to cook with. This chicken is flavorful, moist, tender and delicious. Enjoy it with a healthful and colorful Israeli salad. Please note that you really need to use the dark meat for this recipe to come out right. You should also plan ahead for marination time, overnight is best.
Israeli Shawarma (Grilled Spiced Chicken)
- 2 lbs to 2 ¼ lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless --or skin on
- 2 T ground cumin
- 2 T ground coriander
- 8 cloves minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 T olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp allspice
- Place all ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix together.
- Rub chicken on all sides with the marinade and let sit 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours refrigerated).
- Grill chicken on a pre-heated BBQ, on medium high heat, closing the lid until cooked through. The chicken will have beautiful grill marks when finished.
- Slice and serve with an Israeli salad or pita with condiments.