This Cuba salad is a typical green salad that you would find on many Cuban tables as a companion to the meal. It is light and refreshing, sometimes we forget how good simple things can be. Add whatever is in season and fresh. The dressing is perfect with the lechon asado it is garlicky and tangy.
Ensalada Cubano (Typical Green Salad)
- 2 red tomatoes sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce shredded or torn
- 6-8 radishes sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Toss together the salad ingredients in a bowl and place in a refrigerator to chill.
- For the Dressing:
- Use a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic with the salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice to the crushed garlic. Whisk together thoroughly. You can also use a blender to emulsify the oil and liquids.
- Just before serving: Gradually add the dressing, a little at a time, while you toss the salad with a couple of large salad forks.
- Add just enough dressing to cover the salad -- more or less to your own taste.