Macedonian Shopksa salad is a loved salad all over the region, especially during the summer when the vegetables are at the peak of freshness. It was perfect timing to enjoy this salad as our International Cuisine Garden is just starting to give us the summer harvest. Aside from the delicious vegetables, the one thing that is certain is that the Macedonian’s do not skimp on the amount of cheese that covers this delicious salad. The cheese typically used is a white cheese called sirine and is similar to a sheep feta. The main components of the salad are peppers, tomato, cucumber and onion. Sometimes olives and parsley are included in the mix as well. A simple drizzle of olive oil and heaven! We thoroughly enjoyed our Shopska salad with the Macedonian pizza, yum!
Macedonian Shopska Salad
- 4 to matoes chopped
- 2 cucumbers peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion or three scallions chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup or more of sirine cheese or sheep feta cheese grated
- Optional garnish
- parsley chopped
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix all together and separate into four bowls or plates
- Cover with cheese as much as you like
- Garnish with parsley and olives if using
- Serve immediately