Burundi Kachumbari an African slaw that is so simple and so delicious. A mixture of sliced or shredded vegetables many times with just onions, tomatoes and a simple squeeze of lemon or vinegar. Add in some cilantro and you are good to go. Additional veggies like cabbage or cucumber could also be added. Of course a touch of a hot chili to make it authentic! Serve it cold with Beans and Bananas!
Burundi – Kachumbari
- 1 hot chili pepper cleaned, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 medium onion Sliced
- 2 to 4 tomatoes sliced thinly
- Juice of one lemon or a few tablespoons of vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced (optional
- 1 small cabbage shredded (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl,
- Toss gently so that all the ingredients are nicely coated with the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 782mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1150IU | Vitamin C: 117.8mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 1.7mg