Moambe Chicken is the national dish of both Congo’s. It is the familiar flavors of western and central African cuisines with tomato, peanuts and onion with a little kick. Enjoy this dish with some Congo rice and fried plantains for an authentic Congolese meal.
Congo- Poulet Moambe (Moambe Chicken)
- 3 lbs chicken parts
- 6 Tablespoons peanut oil divided
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 can tomato puree
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Heat 4 Tbsp. peanut oil in a large pot over high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, working in batches if needed. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and turn down the temperature to medium-low.
- Add the onions and saute until golden.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, garlic, green onions, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and water and mix well.
- Return chicken to the pot and mix again. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of sauce from the pot and mix with the peanut butter. Return mixture to pot and mix well.
- Cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.