Here you will learn tips on how to become a 5-star trusted house sitter. But, first you have to get that house sit.
House sitting works out beautifully if you are a global or digital nomad looking to travel the world. Actually, it is good for any animal lovers who might want to experience a new place.
There is an app called Trusted House Sitters that costs $129-$249 to join annually. Both parties pay the annual membership fee whether you are looking to house sit or need a house sitter.
You simply peruse the available house sits in an area or part of the world you would like to go, and apply for the housesit. If you don't find what you are looking for in your search results, keep looking as there are new listings all the time.
Be sure to sign up for text alerts if you are looking for a specific area. The app will send you a notification when something comes up. Early bird gets the worm, so if you see something you like, be sure to apply right away.
Make sure that you have a good profile, choose a photo of yourself that is happy and friendly. Be sure to get external references, with great reviews from friends and family where you have house sit in the past.
Put as many photos as they allow with you and pets. Previous experience is desirable but not a deal breaker to be considered as a potential sitter. Of course, if you have five-star reviews, you are more likely to be considered for the position.
When you apply, be sure to make the application as personalized as possible. Make it clear you thoroughly looked at their pet care and home care needs and use their names and their pets names in the application.
Tell them they have adorable pets, and that you are a true animal lover. Home owners and pet owners simply want true peace of mind when they make their selection.
Sometimes there are a lot of people who apply for a house sit. Be sure to mention you would like to have a video call to get to know each other better. Also it is wise to tell them your travel plans so that they know you will be there. This assures them that you already have planned to cover your travel costs to get there.
Tell them why you are the perfect sitter or sitters for the job. If you have background checks let them know that too. You do not want to tell them that you are there to see the area. Home owners with pets want to know that you will be there most of the time, and you should be, to carry out the duties and daily routines in exchange for a free place to stay.
No money exchanges hands, you get free accommodation in exchange for looking after someone’s home and beloved pets.
After you apply for the position, the person looking for a sitter will likely ask for video calls to make sure that you are a good fit. Ask pertinent questions during the call, ask to see the animals.
Tips to Become a 5-star Trusted House Sitter
It is imperative that you check the responsibilities for the sit and only apply if you are certain, you meet the criteria. Once you get your first house sit, as a pet sitter, these are my top tips to get that 5-star review:
- Communication is king! I like to use WhatsApp to keep in contact even before the sit starts. Re-assure the client that you will be there at the proposed time to meet. Even contacting them a few days before is a good idea. Some people will have you meet ahead of time, the day before, to go over everything you need to know, others may have you come the day they leave. It's a good idea to spend a bit of quality time with them to put their minds at ease.
- Be sure to get any veterinarian information before they leave as well as what to do in case of an emergency. Get a phone number of friends or neighbors they would want you to reach out too.
- Make sure that you send them daily updates on how things are going. Pet owners love to see pictures of their pets and home while they are away. You can do this by sending them a daily email or text message through any number of sources. Ask them what their preference is. It's a great idea to photograph you and their pets while you are out on daily walks.
- If something goes array when you are house sitting, be honest and let them know. If there is any property damage that occurs from some unforeseen event, tell them.
- Leave the place better than you found it, be helpful. Clean up after yourself and leave the home tidy. If you can wash the linens and leave the bed ready made, that is ideal.
- I like to cook something for them that they can simply warm up or put in the oven when they return. If you use items in their refrigerator, replace them. No one likes coming home to an empty fridge or have to worry about cooking upon their return.
- I like to buy some flowers and a thank you card. Let them know what a great experience you had in their beautiful home and spending time with their beloved pets.
- Leave good reviews for them too, as a trustedhousesitters member their star rating matters just as much as yours.
When you become a premium member of the trusted house sitters platform, you also get some benefits like global airport lounge passes, a vet advice line, accident and third party liability coverage and even cancellation insurance. There are of course other house-sitting platforms but I have found trusted house sitters to be the best site.
If you would like to learn more about how we became global nomads and traveling the world you might enjoy this article on How to Travel the World House Sitting.
I hope you found these tips on how to become a 5-star trusted house sitter useful, if so please like and share. Thanks you for your support!
Please note that this post may contain affiliate links in which I earn a small commission, but it does not affect your price. Rest assured, I only recommend products that I believe in.
Happy House Sitting!