Hungarian mushroom soup has a wonderful combination of ingredients, paprika, dill and sour cream are all commonly found in Hungarian Cuisine. These together with mushrooms are simply delicious. Hungarians love to forage for mushrooms and they are plentiful in the farmers markets in the fall. A perfect time of year to enjoy it. Make this hearty soup on its own or as a starter to any meal.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup (Szekelyderzs)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium size yellow onions diced
- 16 oz. of fresh mushrooms try a combination of button and cremini
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill weed
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of chicken stock divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, dill, paprika, soy sauce, and ½ cup of stock, stir until well combined, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mushroom mixture and liquid and set aside.
- Heat the butter in the same pot, add the flour once the butter has melted and whisk until creamy for a few minutes
- Slowly whisk in the milk until well combined. Cook stirring constantly until thick.
- Add back the mushroom mixture and liquid along with the remaining stock stir until combined.
- Cover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes
- Just before serving add the lemon juice, sour cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. G
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of dill.