Italian egg drop soup is a true comfort food. Stracciatella alla romana is often whipped up when someone is feeling a bit under the weather. It is a fresh and refreshing soup that you are sure to enjoy. It is one of those recipes where each family has their favorite ingredients they like in their Italian egg drop soup. We loved this quick and easy recipe and will make it often.
This is a recipe that just about anyone can make with ingredients likely on hand. The basic ingredients are chicken broth or stock, eggs 1 for every two cups of broth, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. You can of course add in any additions to your liking. The recipe below is the one I made and like I said we loved it! Some variations include pasta as well.
The recipe that I used comes from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy where San Marino gets most of its culinary treasures. The tiny country of San Marino is located on the slopes of Mount Titano. It is the third smallest in Europe after the Vatican City and Monaco. If you want to see amazing views it is a wonderful place to visit and is the oldest Republic in the world.
If you would like to learn more be sure to visit “Our Journey to San Marino” there you will also find more authentic and delicious recipes.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Italian Egg Drop Soup (Stracciatella Alla Romana)
A perfect light and refreshing soup that is delicious anytime but loved when feeling a bit under the weather.
- 6 cups chicken stock Preferably homemade
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons freshly-shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 1 lemon zest of
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- red pepper flakes to sprinkle (optional)
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, and add the Parmigiano, semolina, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Add the egg mixture, a little at a time, to the boiling stock, whisking constantly. After all the egg mixture is added, lower the heat and cook 1 minute.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish each with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Add sprinkle of red pepper flakes if desired.