This Cameroon coconut soup is easy to make and really tasty. The coconut is subtle and adds a lovely creaminess to it. I added some hot pepper to spice it up a bit, it was a lovely soup. The combination of leeks and onions made for some great flavor.
Serve as part of your Cameroon meal or it would make a wonderful lunch on its own some nice crusty bread.
Soupe à la Noix de Coco Camerounaise (Cameroon Coconut Soup)
A lovely creamy coconut soup flavored with leeks. This Cameroon Coconut soup recipe is perfect as a starter or would make a nice light lunch.
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks washed and sliced
- 1 coconut
- ½ cube of butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Break open the coconut, extract the flesh and remove the brown papery layer from the outside.
- Grate the coconut flesh then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions and leeks and fry for about 6 minutes or until soft.
- Pour over 750ml of lightly-salted water then add the potatoes and the grated coconut flesh.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook gently for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly then process in a blender until smooth.
- Return to the pan, stir in the coconut milk and season with black pepper.
- Allow to warm through then divide the mixture between four warmed soup bowls and serve hot.
Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 1204mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 740IU | Vitamin C: 34.7mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 10.1mg
This is how you can open and grate a coconut. Be sure to subscribe to my youtube channel and give it a thumbs up.