This Cyprus avgolemeno soup dish is probably not in your typical meze however it is a classic Cypriot traditional dish that many say bring them right back to home. It is often served when someone is feeling a bit under the weather. Sort of a chicken soup remedy if you will. It is hearty and delicious.
Cyprus Avgolemeno (Lemon and Egg Soup)
- 6 cups chicken broth Preferably homemade
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large lemon
- 1 Tablespoon water
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, pour in your chicken broth. Then add the rice. Cook the rice in the chicken broth until it is tender. After the rice is ready, lower the temperature and add 1/2 a cup of cold water.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with lemon juice until frothy. Add 1 tbs water to this mixture.
- Start adding 1 to 2 cups of the broth slowly (slowly is important to prevent any curdling!) in the egg mixture a little at a time, continually beating it so that it doesn’t curdle.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly back into the soup pot constantly stirring it to prevent curdling. Slowly raise the temperature of the soup and stir it a few more times. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Add freshly ground black pepper on top of the soup for extra flavor.