Ceviche is loved all over Ecuador, especially on the coast. It can be made out of all types of seafood. This one is made from shrimp which is cooked. Most ceviche’s are made with raw fish which is cooked in the acid from the lime or lemon juice. Which ever type you make, they are all delicious. This recipe also calls for ketchup, which is how they make it there. It adds a wonderful sweetness to the dish. Additionally, they serve ceviche with fried green bananas. You simply slice them very thin the long way and deep fry them. You are sure to love this Ecuador shrimp ceviche recipe!
Did you know that about 70% of the worlds cacoa used for chocolate products comes from Ecuador? If you would like to learn more about this country plus get more authentic recipes be sure to check out “Our Journey to Ecuador” to learn more.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Ecuador Ceviche de Camerones (Shrimp Ceviche)
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 to matoes thinly sliced
- Juice of 8 limes
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped finely
- Salt pepper and oil to taste (sunflower oil)
- Soak the onions in salt water for about 10 minutes, rinse well and pat dry
- Mix all the ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Serve with fried green banana for a delicious appetizer!