Georgian Khachapuri is a delicious cheese bread loved all over the country. It is usually made in three different styles. This recipe is for the most common one which is a circular bread with the cheese in the middle called Imeruli. This is from Imereti the other two types are called Ajaruli and Megruli. The dough for this recipe could be used to make all three types however today we will make Imeretian Khachapuri. The recipe calls for a combination of two types of cheese Imeretian cheese and sulguni. If you can not find these specialty cheeses from Georgia, you can substitute mozzarella with feta. Enjoy with a salad and a nice glass of Georgian wine or serve as part of the Supra, ( A Georgian feast).
Georgian Khachapuri (Cheese Bread)
- 3 1/4 cups of flour
- 200 ml water
- 200 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 25 ml oil
- For the filling:
- 6 oz Imeretian cheese
- 6 oz Sulguni or substitute a combination of mozzarella and feta total of 12 oz combined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk and water to make egg wash
- Warm the water to around 100 degrees and stir in the yeast
- Add 2 3/4 cups of flour to a mixing bowl and make a depression in the flour
- Add the yeast water, milk, oil and a raw egg.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of sugar if you want your bread to have a golden color.
- Mix the ingredients from the middle of the bowl until all the flour is mixed
- The dough should be formed into a soft ball
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for two hours to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Add 1/2 cup of flour and knead the dough until it is soft and smooth
- separate the dough into 2 pieces
- on a floured surface roll out one piece of the dough into a circle about 11 "
- Place the combination of seasoned cheese in the middle
- Gather up the edges of the circle enclosing the cheese.
- Flip over and roll out again to about a 9" diameter disc.
- Transfer the khachapuri to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a warm pizza stone
- Repeat with the second part of the dough of freeze for later use.
- Mix the egg yolk and water in a cup and brush the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes and serve warm.