Icelandic caramelized potatoes are a loved side dish especially around the holidays. However, it is a real treat for any occasion. So simple and delicious, I can't believe I had never come across these little gems before. Use a small waxy potato and it is best to wait to peel them after they are boiled and fork tender. This allows the potato to really soak in the caramelized goodness. Enjoy!
Icelandic Caramelized Potatoes
- 2 lbs. small potatoes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Boil the potatoes in large pot of water until tender
- Drain potatoes and let cool until you can peel them.
- Peel them and set aside
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water to pan and simmer over medium heat until syrup turns a golden brown.
- stir in the butter and then the potatoes
- Cook to combine all the ingredients about 5 more minutes taking care that all the potatoes are covered with the caramelized goodness.
- Serve warm