Icelandic lobster soup is an amazing recipe. It is delicately flavored with sherry and thyme, everyone will love it!
I had never made my own seafood stock before and wow, how easy and what a treat. Simply use the shells from your shellfish with some veggies. This recipe can be made with lobster alone, or lobster and shrimp which was how I made it or it can be made with langostinos.
Similar to a lobster bisque, this Icelandic lobster and shrimp recipe will be a regular in my repertoire, absolutely delicious!
Icelandic Lobster Soup
A simply amazing soup recipe for any occasion plus see how easy it is to make your own seafood stock using the shells from the seafood that is in the soup. You will love it!
Servings 8 as a starter
- For the stock:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 to 4 lobster tail shells
- Shrimp shells from 1 pound large 16/20 count shrimp
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Bouquet garni: 5 each sprigs thyme and parsley 1 bay leaf and 5 whole peppercorns
- 1 large shallot peeled
- 1 leek roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- pinch white pepper
- pinch salt
- 6 to 7 cups water
- For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can plum tomatoes and the juice
- 4 cups shrimp and lobster stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 lobster tails chopped
- 1 pound shelled large shrimp chopped
- White pepper and salt to taste
- Chili oil (optional) for garnish
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté the shrimp and lobster shells until pink.
- Add the sherry and white wine, and simmer until reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to cover, about 6 to 7 cups.
- Simmer (do not boil) uncovered, for an hour, or until reduced to about 4 cups of liquid.
- Strain through a fine mesh cloth. Discard solids.
- For the soup:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the shallot in butter until translucent.
- Add the sherry and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock, paprika and thyme. Simmer gently, covered for 20 minutes. Remove the thyme and puree with an immersion blender. Pass soup through a fine mesh cloth or sieve.
- Return to low heat and temper the cream with some of the hot soup, and slowly add to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the lobster and shrimp to the gently simmering soup.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, turn off the heat and cover for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a drizzle of chili oil, and a sprig of thyme.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 214mg | Sodium: 1029mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3205IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 174mg | Iron: 2.1mg