Trinidad Coconut roll recipe is a delicious and popular dessert recipe that you will love after your Trinidadian meal. Coconuts are abundant on the Islands nation. You should use fresh coconut if you can but if not a package of shredded coconut will work just fine.
In this post I will share with you a simple and easy-to-follow recipe for Trinidad Coconut roll that you can make on at home.
This easy to make dessert is made with a butter crust and a sweet coconut filling only uses a few simple ingredients you likely have in your pantry.
You can add raisins or nuts to the mixture for added flavor and texture
You can also sprinkle some cinnamon on top before baking for a lovely aromatic and delicious twist.
Looking for more delicious recipes to enjoy with your Trinidad Coconut Roll Recipe?
How about Doubles a famous street food served with their famous chadon Beni Sauce as a delicious starter to your Trinidadian meal.
Try Macaroni Pie for a main course
If you would like to learn more about these Caribbean Islands, their traditions, food and culture be sure to check out “Our Journey to Trinidad and Tobago” there you will also find more authentic and ancestral recipes like this popular Trinidad Coconut Roll Recipe .
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world, so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free. You can also follow me on social media Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Trinidad Coconut Roll Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar white
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup coconut, grated fresh or desiccated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg whisked for egg wash
- In a large bowl, or food processor Add flour, white sugar and salt and mix.
- Add in the butter cubes and quickly cut it in so the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add in the cold water and mix quickly to form a soft dough.
- Form a disc and cover it with plastic and put in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight. When you are ready to make the roll, remove the dough to bring to room temperature.
- Meanwhile while the dough is resting. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a pot, mix together the shredded coconut, brown sugar, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of water. Let it simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll out the dough gradually into a rectangle. Do this slowly as the dough may want to shrink back. Try to roll it out to be about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Fill it with the coconut filling and roll it up, folding the edges in as you go.
- Use a bit of water to stick the the top edge of the dough and brush the roll with an egg wash.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cook until golden brown about 25-30 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it so that it does not overcook.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely on a wire rack and cut into two inch pieces. Enjoy your Trini Coconut Rolls!
Leave a Reply