This soup called Chorba or Shorba, has wonderful flavor and could be served as a light lunch by itself or as a starter to an Algerian feast. It showcases the many flavors of the area using the spice ras el hanout ( a typical north African spice mix) along with preserved lemons, and cilantro. Make plenty as it freezes beautifully!
Chorba-Shorba (Algerian Chickpea and Chicken Soup)
- 4-5 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- ½ teaspoon ginger ground
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 32 oz. water
- Chickpeas one can about 15 ounces drained
- Diced tomatoes one can about 15 ounces
- ½ preserved lemon finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ juice of a lemon
- Place olive oil in a large pot and fry the chicken to seal all over.
- Add the spices and fry for another minute
- Add all the other ingredients, except the cilantro, chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour
- Remove the drumsticks from the pan and add in the chickpeas
- De-bone the chicken and add back into the soup.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes
- Ladle into a serving bowl and garnish with the coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve warm with some bread.