This Costa Rican style Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with rice) is found all over the country. This recipe calls for potato chips as a side but many times it is served with French fries. We loved the crunch of the potato chip right in the Arroz con Pollo. It is a lovely meal, enjoy!
Costa Rica Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons chicken bullion
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 2 cups green beans chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 can of corn
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon annatto or achiote powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Potato chips
- Cut up the chicken and boil in a large pot of water until completely cooked. Add bullion to make a broth for cooking the rice. Remove the chicken and shred or cut into small pieces, reserving the broth. Set chicken aside and keep warm.
- Rinse the rice and put it in a large pot or rice cooker with the vegetable oil, salt, annatto, and one of the garlic cloves. Add 6 1/2 cups of chicken broth to cover the rice about one inch deep. If there isn’t enough broth, add water. Start rice cooker or cover the cooking pot and bring the rice to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery and remaining garlic clove in a little oil until tender. Next, add a little water and the chopped carrots and green beans. Just before the vegetables are tender, add the corn and cilantro. Stir in the chicken. After the carrots and green beans are tender, drain any remaining water and combine the vegetables and chicken with the rice. Mix well and add salt to taste. Cover at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with potato chips on the side, Enjoy!