Octopus Salad is loved by the Croatians on the Dalmatian Coast. Fresh seafood is abundant and this makes a perfect salad as a starter or light lunch. Serve it with a nice glass of white wine and some crusty bread. I have added this to my favorites and will make it often, thanks Croatia! Dobar Tek!
Croatia Salata od Hobotnice (Octopus Salad)
- 1 frozen octopus
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4-5 small Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 to mato diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- Red wine Vinegar to taste
- 1 lemon ½ squeezed for juice and half for garnish slices.
- Put the octopus into a large pot of water and bring to a boil. (Add a wine cork to the water to ensure tenderness) Once it reaches a boil, lower the temperature to medium-low and cover the pot. Leave it for about 1 ½ hours until tender.
- When the octopus is soft, the tentacles with remain a bit firm, peel the skin by rinsing the octopus under warm water. Chop the octopus into pieces of about 1 ½ inches in length.
- Peel the potatoes and boil them until fork tender, drain the water and slice the potatoes.
- In a bowl, combine the octopus, potatoes, onion, garlic and tomato sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and red wine vinegar and the juice of ½ lemon. Mix well and garnish with the fresh parsley, lemon slices and serve.
- Dobar Tek!