The Croatian dish called Štrukli from the northern region is loved throughout the country. This recipe calls for boiling and baking and the result is heavenly! Fair warning the dish is very filling. The flavors remind me of a Mac and Cheese and it feels hearty and homey like that as well. Perfect for a cool winter day! To make the dough from scratch is an art form. I chose to make it with rolled out puff pastry dough and it came out perfect. Another trick is to cut the pieces with the edge of a plate. It works to make little pockets of goodness!
Croatia Zagorski Štrukli (Cheese filled pastry)
- 1 lb. puff pastry dough
- 3 eggs
- ½ lb. feta cheese
- ½ lb. farmers cheese ricotta or cottage cheese ( I used ricotta and it was delicious)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough on a floured surface until very thin. Make a long rectangle.
- In a bowl, mix together two eggs, the feta and other cheese of choice plus salt to taste.
- Spread the mixture on the rolled out puff pastry dough.
- Roll up the dough into a long cylindrical log.
- Cut into pieces using the edge of a plate into two inch pieces
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Add in the pieces and cook for 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and place into a greased glass dish or individual serving size dishes.
- Mix together 1 eggs, sour cream and salt to taste.
- Pour over the pieces and cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Okay trying the CROATIA ZAGORSKI ŠTRUKLI It looks yummy!! 🙂
Darlene at International Cuisine
You will love it! A plate works really well to cut the pieces and make sure you use plenty of flour before you roll out the dough. Please let me know how yours turns out!