These Czech Republic bread dumplings are easy to make and a wonderful accompaniment to the beef sirloin with vegetable cream sauce called svíčková na smetaně. These would be great with just about any meat that is served with a gravy.
Czech Republic Houskový Knedlík (Bread Dumplings)
- 3 Tablespoons butter or bacon fat
- ¼ cup minced onions
- 2 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 8 slices of diced bread with the crust
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sauté the onion and parsley in the fat.
- Add the diced bread and sauté until golden brown
- Set aside to cool
- Combine the flour, eggs, milk and salt and beat until bubbly (around 5 minutes)
- Mix in the bread mixture when cool
- Let stand 30 minutes
- When ready to make dumplings boil 10 cups of lightly salted water in a large pot.
- With wet hands, shape the mixture into 2 to 3 inch little loaves.
- Drop gently in the boiling water
- Cook 15 minutes or so until the dumplings float.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes
- Drain, slice with thread or dental floss and serve with gravy.