Denmark's fresh beetroot salad called Sukkerroer Salat is a perfect side dish to the National dish called stegt-flaesk! I wanted to make something in honor of the New Nordic Cuisine and this fit the bill perfectly. I had never eaten raw beetroot before and I loved it! It is a bit messy to make as beetroot stains easily but other than that, it is quick, easy and delicious! This would make a lovely lunch dish on it's own!
Denmark Sukkerroer Salat (Beetroot Salad)
- 4 beets peeled
- ¼ cup dried cranberries unsweetened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 teaspoons horseradish freshly grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill minced, to garnish
- Cut the peeled beets into matchsticks, toss with cranberries, salt and vinegar, then let rest for 15 minutes.
- Stir the horseradish into the cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, garnish the beet mixture with the cottage cheese and sprinkle with plenty of fresh dill.