Estonia Rossolje is one of their signature dishes. Every household has their own unique recipe for this staple. It is served cold which is common. I was a little reluctant about the herring part of the dish, but the truth is I used a smoked herring and I loved it! This is the smoked herring I used. It has quite a few ingredients and the combination of flavors was wonderful. The color of the salad turns pink thanks to the beetroot. It would make an awesome dish during breast cancer awareness week!
If you are looking for more authentic recipes from Estonia or elsewhere be sure to check out “Our Journey to Estonia” to learn more.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Estonia Rossolje (Potato and Herring Salad)
- 10 small new size white or gold potatoes
- 2 small onions diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 pickles diced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small can beets diced
- marinated or smoked herring just don't use marinated herring from a can, it gets mushy
- 2 apples diced (use a tart apple like a granny smith)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup smoked ham diced (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in salty water until tender, rinse under cold water. When cool enough to handle cube the potatoes. It is up to you whether or not you want to remove the peel.
- In a bowl, put in the potatoes, onions, garlic, pickles, drained, beets, apples, herring and ham if using . Gently fold in the mustard, honey, mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with dill and diced egg.
- Refrigerate for about an hour and serve chilled.