Ginger Beer as it is called is a refreshing West African Drink that despite its name, does not include any alcohol. The drink can be made with lemons, pineapple, grapefruit, lime etc. It is the ginger that makes the drink nice and tangy. A lovely summer drink for any occasion!
Ginger Beer (A Refreshing West African Drink)
- 3-4 large fresh ginger roots
- Juice of two lemons or similar amount of juice from limes pineapple, grapefruit
- 1 cup sugar
- a few whole cloves or a cinnamon stick optional
- Peel the ginger root and pound the root to a pulp.
- Place in a glass mixing bowl or stainless steel container
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil
- Pour the water over the ginger root and let sit covered in a warm place for one hour
- Using a cheese cloth and pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- Squeeze the cheese cloth to extract all the liquid from the ginger root.
- Add in the citrus juice you are using, the sugar and spices.
- Mix well and let sit for one more hour.
- Strain the mixture once more add in enough water to make 1 gallon
- Refrigerate until chilled and serve cold over ice.