Greek tzatziki is a traditional sauce to serve with lamb souvlaki. The creamy cucumber, garlic and dill combination is refreshing and wonderful just as a dip for pita or veggies by itself. It is perfect with the lamb on a fresh pita. Simple and delicious! You can add some sweet or hot paprika if you like a little kick.
Greek Tzatziki (Cucumber, Garlic, Dill Sauce)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g of strained yogurt 18 ounces
- 1-2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- a pinch of salt
- Pour in a blender the olive oil and grated garlic and blend until combined.
- Remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water.
- In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, 1-2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar, dill, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined.
- Store the tzatziki sauce in the refrigerator until ready to use and always serve cold.