Guyana Baked Vanilla Custard is easy to make, it is light and not too sweet. It was the perfect ending to our Guyanese meal and figure this is the English influence on the cuisine there. Sometimes Guyana is referred to as the land of six peoples because of the interesting mix of ethnicity that ended up there. All of them influenced their delicious food. Enjoy!
Guyana Baked Vanilla Custard
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 can condensed milk 14 oz can
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- fresh nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat milk, do not allow to boil.
- Beat eggs and add a littlle of the warm milk gradually to eggs to temper them and avoid scrambled eggs.
- Add egg mixture to remaining milk and add vanilla and sugar.
- Pour into greased ramekins and sprinkle grated nutmeg over top.
- Place the pan in a larger pan filled with warm water about 1/2 way up the ramekins and bake for approx. 40 mins or until set.
- Remove and let cool