Guyana Mango sour is a delightful sauce made with green mango. It is balanced with lime, garlic and of course chili peppers. In Guyana it would likely be the wiri-wiri pepper that they use in just about everything. This sauce/chutney is very spicy and it mellows with time in the refrigerator. It is outstanding with the just out of the fryer pholourie however it would be awesome with many other things as well, just a shrimp dip or on chicken or well, you get the idea. Adjust the heat to your liking. You want to use a firm green mango for this recipe.
Guyana Mango Sour (Mango Chutney)
- 1 green mango
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 wiri-wiri peppers or 1 scotch bonnet or habanero
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 scallion for garnish
- Peel and put the chunks of mango in your food processor (if you don't have one you can grate the mango on the small grater holes)
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the scallions, into the processor and let flavors meld together for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- If you do not have a food processor, Put the rest of the ingredients in a mortar and pestle and crush. Add it to the grated mango, mix thoroughly.
- Put in refrigerator and garnish with scallions before serving