Japanese rainbow roll is another type of sushi called makizushi. This can take a little bit more practice than the temaki or sashimi platter. This is a roll that is made either with the rice on the inside or outside of the nori and then sliced into bite size pieces. This Japanese rainbow roll was made with rice on the outside and then assorted fish and avocado place on top, and rolled again. Basically this roll is tuna, salmon and avocado over a California roll, but could be snapper, shrimp, halibut etc.
By the way, a California roll is often used as an introduction into sushi. It does not contain any raw fish. The inside of a California roll is cucumber, avocado and imitation crab meat. Another item you need for this dish is called eel sauce. It is a sweet and amazing sauce that makes this roll delicious. You can pick some up here . You can then use it of course on eel which is often baked and considered the dessert course at a sushi bar. Of course there are numerous videos you can download on how to cut and make sushi rolls which I would highly recommend you do. You will also need a sushi rolling mat for the task as well. It is fun to make and don't be too hard on yourself, sushi chefs have trained for years to master their craft. Don't expect to be perfect and you will have fun and love it!
I would love to know what you favorite sushi is? Be sure to leave me a note in the comments below. Also if you would like to learn more about this amazing country of Japan be sure to check out "Our Journey to Japan" plus get more awesome authentic recipes.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Japanese Rainbow Roll
- 3 pieces sashimi grade salmon sliced thinly
- 3 pieces sashimi grad tuna slice thinly
- 1 avocado sliced thinly same size as the fish, plus pieces for inside roll
- 2 pieces imitation crab meat
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Prepared sushi rice see soft shell crab hand roll recipe on how to make sushi rice
- 1 piece of nori seaweed sheet
- Eel sauce Store bought
- On your work surface, lay a piece of seaweed smooth side up
- Press your prepared sushi rice over eighty percent of the seaweed. (it will spread out to the edges when you roll it.)
- Place your sushi rolling mat.
- Put down a piece of plastic wrap over the mat and then flip the seaweed over so the rice is now on the bottom.
- Place the cucumber slices, avocado pieces and imitation crab lengthwise and toward the bottom third of the roll.
- Roll it up, using your sushi rolling mat.
- Add the pieces of fish and avocado on the top part of the roll alternating pieces.
- Using a the plastic wrap again and the rolling mat, gently roll the fish and avocado pieces onto the roll.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the roll into 8 pieces
- Plate and then drizzle with the eel sauce. If you can't find eel sauce, it is also delicious by just dipping it into some soy sauce and wasabi.
- Have fun and try it!