Jordanian Mouttabal is a lovely smoky eggplant dip that is excellent with Jordanian Shrak bread. A wonderful starter for our Jordanian feast however it would be just a delicious for any occasion. Eggplant is a low calorie vegetable that when cooked properly is super! This is very similar to baba-ganoush but the eggplant is cooked right on the burner making a excellent smoky flavor to the flesh. You will love this dip!
Jordanian Mouttabal (Smoky Eggplant Dip)
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- ½ cup tahini paste
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 garlic cloves mashed
- 2 tablespoons of salted yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Roast the eggplant on a gas top range or BBQ for about ½ hour, turning frequently.
- Allow eggplant to rest for 10-15 minutes, then run it under cold water from a sink and slowly peel using your hands.
- Remove the stem and place the flesh into a bowl. Run a knife through the flesh to separate it, add the lemon juice, 2-mashed garlic cloves, salt, ½ cup of tahini and 2 tablespoons yogurt.
- Mash the mixture using a spoon or a mortar and pestle and mix well.
- Spread on a plate and garnish a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with shrak, a Jordanian flat bread