Kiribati pumpkin coconut soup, is a super easy to make delicious recipe, that can be served either hot or cold. The ingredients are found easily on the islands of Kiribati. One can not under estimate the importance of coconut to the people there. Pumpkin would likely be a calabash pumpkin however any pumpkin or even sweet potato works well. The flavors are both sweet and savory. This simple recipe is wonderful served as a starter or could be a light meal on its own. Either way you are sure to enjoy the flavors of Kiribati.
Kiribati Pumpkin Coconut Soup
- 2 lbs pumpkin or sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1 can coconut milk light
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut oil
- water cups
- onion chives to garnish
- Peel, de-seed and cut the pumpkin into bite size pieces
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot
- add the ginger and the pumpkin
- cook until slightly soft but before it turns brown
- Add in the water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer
- cook approx 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is nice and tender
- Mash the pumpkin with a potato masher or use and immersion blender until the pumpkin is creamy.
- Add in the coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Warm on stove top if serving hot.
- This soup is delicious served either hot or cold
- Garnish with some fresh ground pepper and onion chives