Kiribati crab cocktail is a beautiful way to start any meal. Christmas Island, the largest atoll in Kiribati, is home to millions of red crabs which are now protected. This dish was made in honor of the red crab and about the size of the claws I remember eating there. (they were not protected at the time). I was able to find these beautiful snow crab claws at my local Asian market. These treasures can be enjoyed cold with a simple cocktail sauce or warm with some garlic butter sauce. A simple, impressive start to any meal.
Kiribati Crab Cocktail
- 1 1 b snow crab claws ready to eat sometimes found frozen
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- Or 1/2 cup butter
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Thaw the snow crab and rinse
- Heat oven to 325 degrees and cook for 15 minutes
- If serving cold, Let cool and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Mix together the ketchup and horseradish to make the sauce
- If serving warm while the crab is in the oven in a saucepan
- Saute the minced garlic just a minute over medium heat without it burning.
- Add the 1/2 cup of butter and heat until melted.
- If you let the butter just get slightly scorched, it actually adds a delicious flavor to the butter sauce.