Laotian grilled chicken called ping gai is a lovely recipe to represent the flavors of Lao. It doesn’t take long at all to whip up the marinade. You should let it develop the flavors with the chicken for a minimum of two hours, but overnight is best if you have the time. Of course serve it along side some sticky rice, and a green papaya salad, for a delicious meal. Enjoy!
Laotian Grilled Chicken (Ping Gai)
- 2 lbs chicken drums
- 1 Tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon ground palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sambal Olek
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add in the chicken legs and coat well
- Pour everything into a ziploc or air tight container and refrigerate for a minimum or two hours or overnight.
- Heat your grill to medium high heat and grill until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Serve with a little cilantro to garnish and of course some sticky rice.