Malaysian Kerabu is an amazing coconut and chili salad. It is light, refreshing and hits all the notes that Southeast Asian cuisine is known for. It is a simple salad with thin slices of toasted shredded coconut, some red bell pepper, red onion, bean sprouts and of course some heat from some finely chopped Thai chilies. It went perfectly with the laksa and nasi lemak that we enjoyed as part of our Malaysian feast. The dressing with fish sauce imparts that special umami element along with some sugar, lime and gingeroot. Simply a lovely salad, enjoy!
Malaysian Kerabu (Coconut and Chili Salad)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced thnly
- 2 cups bean spouts
- 1 red chili seeded and minced
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled
- To make the dressing, whisk the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Grate the gingerroot into the bowl, discard the fibrous bits and mix well.
- put the raw onion into the dressing and set aside. This helps take the bitterness out of the onion
- Toast the coconut in a skillet over medium heat stirring constantly until the coconut turns a golden brown.
- Add the red pepper, bean sprouts, red chili to the dressing mixture and toss gently so that everything is nicely coated. Add in the roasted coconut and serve immediately.