Maltese garden salad is simply called insalata. This is best made with fresh ingredients in peak season. I am blessed to have a beautiful International cuisine garden that just happened to be filled with fresh ingredients for this simple salad.( I give all the credit to my husband Dan for his amazing ability to grow things where it is near impossible) I love salads of all types and this one utilizing some fresh herbs of basil and thyme added lovely flavors to the mix. A very simple dressing also helps the delicious fresh vegetables shine through.
Maltese Garden Salad (Insalata)
- 1 small cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet pepper de-veined and chopped
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce
- some radicchio leaves
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 to matoes chopped
- a handful of mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- a handful of basil
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- For the dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- a few drops of white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl mix together all the salad ingredients.
- In a small jar with a lid, mix together the dressing ingredient and shake until all combined
- pour over the salad ingredients and toss gently to mix.