Who doesn't love homemade ice cream? This is so simple and easy to make especially if you have an ice cream maker. The result is creamy delight, you can add whatever nuts you like, I used some almonds and loved it. I have a kitchen aid attachment Ice cream maker that I used for the first time and it worked out perfect. This ice cream is made simply with a couple cans of evaporated milk, and a little heavy cream plus just a few other ingredients. Enjoy this traditional Maltese ice cream often served for special occasions on the Island.
Maltese Ice Cream
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- rind of 1 lemon grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- nuts of your choice about 1/2 cup
- In a saucepan put 1 can of milk, cinnamon stick and lemon rind and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a a stainless steel bow and discard the rind and cinnamon stick.
- Mix in the other can of milk, cream and vanilla
- Chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes
- In your ice cream makers, pour in the chilled mixture and let it churn until the desired consistency.
- Serve with crushed nuts