Montenegrin Gibanica is a decadent dessert. It is a pastry made of filo dough and filled with different alternating layers of a cheese filling, raspberry and apricot filling. It is then baked and topped off with confectioners sugar and served alongside some fresh berries and a strong coffee.
This dessert is also popular in many of the Balkan countries, another wonderful recipe!
Montenegrin Gibanica (Pastry filled with cheese and fruit)
An absolutely lovely Balkan recipe you are sure to cherish!
- 1 120 z can apricot pastry filling
- 1 120 z can raspberry pastry filling
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 lb. cottage cheese small curd
- 1/3 cup sugar granulated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb filo dough
- 4 oz melted butter
- powdered sugar for topping
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- For the cheese filling
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth
- Add in the cottage cheese , sugar and zest of 1 lemon
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time
- Add sour cream and beat again
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until stiff
- Fold into the cheese mixture and set aside
- To prepare the Gibanica
- your filo dough should be thawed and ready to work with following package instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly butter a 13x9 glass pan.
- Place a piece of filo dough on the bottom and lightly brush with butter
- Repeat with a second piece
- Spread half the cheese mixture on top.
- Place two more pieces of filo dough lightly buttering each one
- Spread the apricot filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one
- Spread the raspberry filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- Spread the rest of the cheese filling
- Finish with two more pieces of filo dough buttering each one on top.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into squares and serve with some fresh raspberries.