Montenegrin Gibanica is a decadent dessert. It is a pastry made of filo dough and filled with different alternating layers of a cheese filling, raspberry and apricot filling. It is then baked and topped off with confectioners sugar and served alongside some fresh berries and a strong coffee.
This dessert is also popular in many of the Balkan countries, another wonderful recipe!
Montenegrin Gibanica (Pastry filled with cheese and fruit)
- 1 120 z can apricot pastry filling
- 1 120 z can raspberry pastry filling
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 lb. cottage cheese small curd
- 1/3 cup sugar granulated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb filo dough
- 4 oz melted butter
- powdered sugar for topping
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- For the cheese filling
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth
- Add in the cottage cheese , sugar and zest of 1 lemon
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time
- Add sour cream and beat again
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until stiff
- Fold into the cheese mixture and set aside
- To prepare the Gibanica
- your filo dough should be thawed and ready to work with following package instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly butter a 13x9 glass pan.
- Place a piece of filo dough on the bottom and lightly brush with butter
- Repeat with a second piece
- Spread half the cheese mixture on top.
- Place two more pieces of filo dough lightly buttering each one
- Spread the apricot filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one
- Spread the raspberry filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- Spread the rest of the cheese filling
- Finish with two more pieces of filo dough buttering each one on top.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into squares and serve with some fresh raspberries.